14 XMPP URIs
Many web page authors use links starting with xmpp: for JIDs.
Your web browser could be made to pass such links to jabber.el, so that
such links are actually useful and not just decoration. How to do that
depends on your operating system and web browser.
14.1 Mozilla and Unix
If you use a Mozilla-based web browser on a Unix-like operating system,
follow these steps.
- Make sure you are running the Emacs server. See Using Emacs as a Server (GNU Emacs Manual).
- Note the path of the xmppuri.sh file in the jabber.el
distribution, and make sure it is executable.
- Set the Mozilla preference network.protocol-handler.app.xmpp to
the path of xmppuri.sh. There are two ways to do this:
- Go to the URL about:config, right-click in the list, choose “New
string”, and enter network.protocol-handler.app.xmpp and the
path in the following dialogs.
- Open or create the file user.js in your Mozilla profile directory
(in the same directory as prefs.js), and add the following line:
Restart Mozilla for this change to take effect.
14.2 Other systems
If you know how to pass an XMPP URI from your browser to the function
jabber-handle-uri, your contribution for this section would be